The mission of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at SGMCOE is to maintain a program of excellence in teaching, research, and service. At the undergraduate level, students are given the opportunity to obtain a well founded understanding of the principles and theories of the science of computing. The curriculum includes a Shivaji University program that gives students the social, ethical, and liberal education needed to be positive contributors to society as a whole. Student receiving a bachelor’s degree in computer science are ready to enter the work force as productive computer scientists or continue their education at the graduate level. The department of Computer Science & Engineering is established in the year 2013 with sanctioned intake of 60 students with highly qualified staff is well equipped with centralized laboratories having the latest configurations and software tools. The department provides extensive computing resources for education. This includes more than 150 high-performance Linux & Windows –based workstations, Microprocessor kits, Digital trainer kits, System and Application software’s. Departmental network communication includes Wi-Fi and a Gigabit Ethernet backbone, offering connectivity to high speed Internet. The department presents a unique opportunity to study the exciting field with guidance of quality teachers. Their foundation in computer science is such that they can be life-long learners in their chosen field. At the graduate level, students receive both quality and technically current instruction, and leading edge research opportunities. At the department level, students, faculty, and the program itself is continually assessed to assure that the mission and outcome objectives are being fulfilled.
- To impart quality education in computer science and engineering with emphasis on research and collaboration with leading industries and institutions.
- To train the students and enable them to meet the technical challenges and diverse needs of IT industry and society in various areas of computer science and engineering and equip them with excel in IT Industry.
- To expose latest technologies to students through carefully designed training modules in collaboration with alumni and industries as part of value added education.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, Manual for Affiliated / Constituent Colleges NAAC for Quality and Excellence in Higher Education 131 and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own Manual for Affiliated / Constituent Colleges NAAC for Quality and Excellence in Higher Education 132 work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- To provide students a strong foundation of mathematics, science and core knowledge of programming, communication technology, and system design and algorithms so that they are able to analyze, model and design feasible and economical solutions for a real time problem.
- To educate the students in the subjects that will encourage them to execute Interdisciplinary Projects, and to inculcate professional ethics, responsibilities, effective communication skills, leadership quality and team work.